Send via SMS

Saturday, June 10, 2006

freakout, phase 2

With the arrival in the mail this morning of the bulk of the presents I will be taking, it hit me that I likely have more stuff than will fit in the suitcase. While not at all a procrastinator by nature, I sitll find myself unwilling to deal with this realistically, to haul out the suitcase and put things in it so I can know with certainty. And then put it on the scale to see if I can even take everything.

And on Thursday, some of the lovely ladies of Amasong took me out for dinner at one of our Indian restaurants (love that buffet!) and it really hit me that I am leaving for quite awhile. I haven't been away from home for this long, whatever my home was at the time of travel, since 1995. I will miss many people very, very much. Suzanne gave me a little photo album for pictures of favorites from home, and it's going to be really hard to prioritize what to put in there, to predict what I'll miss and what I'll want to show people. I do have a picture of Custard Cup already, though, so all systems go.

It's an interesting question: when you live in a place that is wonderful for living in, but not necessariyl for visiting or looking at, what do you take pictures of to capture is greatness? I love sitting at a sidewalk table in downtown Champaign on a breezey summer evening, but the pictures I took of one of those sidewalks don't at all convey the joys of being there, how magical the little lights in the trees are, how freeing it is to sit and let the air blow around you while you laugh away with dear friends.

4 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're going to miss you, but you'll be having so much fun I bet you won't worry too much about little C-U once you're there.

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I a suggest a couple of pictures? Consider taking one of the crazy pirate bar / restaurant (the Jolly Roger?). I've never been there but the thought makes me laugh. How about a simple picture of grilled cheese and tomato soup? And Leroy! How could we forget him? You're going to have a blast. Can't wait to see the pictures you bring back.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Is this Mark? I bet it is.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth Wrote: "I love sitting at a sidewalk table in downtown Champaign on a breezey summer evening, but the pictures I took of one of those sidewalks don't at all convey the joys of being there, how magical the little lights in the trees are, how freeing it is to sit and let the air blow around you while you laugh away with dear friends."

Luci Wrote:
Such a lovely, lovely image dear Pookie... can't wait to hear about all the new and different magical things you will encounter in your travels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home