Send via SMS

Sunday, May 14, 2006

mmmmm...packets...

Can anyone tell me what to do with these?

When I first found out I got the Fulbright, Suzanne got me a little bundle of Indian treats from an international grocery store. In addition to these, there were some masala ramen noodles, which I ate right away. But to be honest, I don't know what these are. Spice/flavoring? If so, to what do I add them? I read the ingredient lists, but that didn't really give me any practical ideas. I am of course very pleased to be able to point out to my friends here that I know what "badshah" means. They are duly impressed, and I just smile sagely, not telling them about the movie.

(For those who are curious, the other items in this still life include my toaster oven; an espresso machine I got for $5 at a rummage sale and can't figure out how to use; my teapot, which was given to me by Wendy in college, hence its mid-1990s color; and the coffee mug I take to work every day. What you can't see, unfortunately, is that my countertop is printed with little blue and brown stars. My kitchen is strangely 1962.)

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger JR said...

Not that I've ever used them myself (and not that I can tell you the difference between the spices in box 1 and box 2), but that's the stuff they sprinkle on your lassi if you order it at a Indian restaurant. I imagine you could add it to anything you're cooking instead of salt and pepper.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaljira is a kind of digestive flavouring added to water (for serious indigestion) or sprinkled on lassi/raitas etc.

Jaljira is mostly sea-salt and has quite a pungent smell, so try it before you go all out on it. It works wonderfully on stomach upsets brought on by overeating :-)
It is also very cooling, and is overall a great drink in summer.

Jiralu is something you sprinkle on Theplas, popcorn, cut fruit, (especially pineapple) buttered bread etc.

Experiment, have fun...

regards,

Bitterlemons

 

Post a Comment

<< Home