Send via SMS

Thursday, July 06, 2006

from Delhi to Amritsar

Dhadek dhadek! I took my first Indian train today. Very fun. So much to see out of the window, and I had not a clue as to what most of it was. I was surprised by how much the area between Delhi and Amritsar looks like Illinois - basically flat with lots of fields, even some corn, although here the fields are much more subdivided, by little earthworks or hedges. And train snacks are good! I very much enjoyed my pitcher of boiling water and little coffee packet - and my paper-wrapped white bread (the whitest bread I've seen in some time, I might add) and jam.

After having a late lunch in the hotel, we went to Jallianwala Bagh and then the Golden Temple. I don't really know what to say about either - I don't think I have quite enough context to appreciate the importance of events at the first (the British shot a bunch of innocent people who were gathered in a garden [I think it was a garden, right dostis?], and this is an important event in the Indian freedom struggle) and I felt like we were treating the Golden Temple like a zoo, stopping at inconvenient places to take group photos and things like that (although to be fair I am never quite sure how to behave in houses of worship of any kind when I am there just to visit rather than to participate in something).

I would tell you what we did our last two days in Delhi, but mainly we were in very interesting lectures and then driving around the city to visit a Muslim school for street children and visit curriculum development experts at some national educational baord. If you see Beth Loves Bollywood you will see that I went to my first Hindi film in India, which as you can imagine was a treat beyond treats.

Okay, the group is leaving the internet cafe. Off to find dinner and something cold.

2 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Kim said...

I only know of Jallianwala Bagh from that horrifying scene of it in "Gandhi." Edward Fox as Dyer blocking the only exit to the area, then having his men mow the people down. And Dyer's being so damn righteous about it at the inquiry afterwards. Gawd.

I'm glad you finally got to see a movie in it's appropriate setting. I can see you smiling and smiling, even though the movie wasn't a favorite.

Enjoy!

Kim

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Humblesage said...

Beth,
A good majority of indians have not seen the place you are talking about but they do learn about Jalianwala Bagh inside out in their textbooks and through movies. Are you making any trips to the south??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home